Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lessons and Lipliner

So, exactly what do you look for in a make-up artist? What do you look to achieve when doing your make-up for the day? Are you looking to be someone else or to just improve upon you? Since taking a make-up artistry class and almost being finished with it, I can say that some people view make-up as a way to be someone else. On the other hand, some people just see make-up as a great way to highlight the good and cover up the bad.

I have always seen make-up as a way to make you look like you, but better. And that's how I think most people should view it. There is nothing so bad about you or your face that you should feel you have to distract people by using intensely bright neon colors or look like you've drawn around your eyes with a sharpie. I like doing dramatic looks once in a while but it's not my thing and I don't really feel that's what most people want. I want someone who knows how to make me look better but still look like me! So, to any aspiring make-up artists out there, get to know your tools and your clients so you know how to address their wants and needs. Not everyone wants a M.A.C. make-over.

That being said, I've learned from the many boyfriends and male friends I have had that most men appreciate girls who look good but don't look fake. I don't think many men like to look at women and just see make-up. Men want to see you. Because at the end of the day you'll have to wash that make-up off and you shouldn't feel like you need to hide behind it. I always get a little scared when girls say "I never go around my boyfriend without make-up on". He'll catch you with it off one day and trust me, he won't run away and hide from you. It took me a long time to realize that. Women are far too hard on themselves. Really.

This is a "love yourself for you who are" entry, but also a "make-up is fun and you're allowed to have fun with it" entry as well.

No comments: